Thursday, November 24, 2011

Imaginary Friends

I never had an imaginary friend, probably because I never needed one. I was such an outgoing, loving, passionate child, who never held back. I would run around all day without a care in the world. Is there a fine line between imaginary and psychosis? If so, what is that line? This is what I think it is: That those who make up their own imaginary friend are fine, and those who’s imaginary friends come to them, well, that’s something to worry about. This is what I’m interested in. Mental health.

Because I’m associated with it? Perhaps. But I feel as though it is something that we don’t know the half of yet, something with still so many things to be explored and discovered. I want to do that. I want to discover things and help people, mainly children because they are so innocent and know so little about the world. I want to deal with heavy mental health, disorders and behavioural problems, so that children can grow up leading relatively normal, functioning lives. Is the field going to be a hard one to crack? Yes. Am I going to have to work really hard for it? Yes. But I don’t care, because it’s what I want to do. I don’t even know what you’d call it. A child behavioural psychologist is what I’ll call myself.

Maybe one day I’ll start talking to a child, who is just like me. Maybe I could help her before she hates herself and her life so much that she feels as though it’s too unbearable to live in. Maybe I’ll catch an 11 year old version of myself, before she has any diagnosed mental illness, and make her see that life isn’t all that bad. Maybe I’ll go in to mental health prevention? Depression prevention? Is that even a thing? Probably not, I mean, you can’t choose whether you get depression or not.

Wouldn’t it be amazing if everyone went to therapy and just talked and discovered themselves. How beautiful would that be? I know there are more important things in the world, like food and water that so many worry about, but wouldn’t it be fantastic, if one day everybody in the world were safe, fed and living under a roof? And could then, well not go 'into' therapy, but see a therapist, talk to someone who will ask the right questions, so that everyone could discover themselves a little bit and solutions for their problems. I would love to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment