Friday, November 18, 2011

Value who YOU are.

We live in a world where our influences shape who we are. As a 17 year old girl growing up in todays society, I am surrounded by magazines, television and music telling me what I should wear, which diet I should be trying, how I should act around boys, etc. I am a victim to it, but luckily, not in a huge sense. I have a grip on myself and reality. I have learnt to do and buy what I like, not what others would like me to. I don’t fall into a category, I am just me. I’ve created my own category for myself and my laid back, casual style and I’m happy with it.

There are however those who are younger, who aren’t so lucky. I see every year younger and younger girls, all looking the same. They do this because they think then they’ll be able to “fit in”. Fit into what though? Some sort of invisible social circle that has been created by ‘popular’ teens. A circle that you can only enter if you look and act a certain way. I see girls acting around boys so desperately and ‘cool’ just to get attention. Of course I don’t know these people, but they all just seem the same. Same clothes, same hair styles, etc. What are their actual personalities? Where is their individuality?

Maybe one day they’ll find it. Maybe some of the lucky ones will break away, find themselves and be there own person. Many others won’t though, they will continue to lead their lives based on how others tell them they should. You shouldn’t need to have to dress a certain way, act a certain way or weigh a certain weight to be friends with somebody, and if they think that you should, then they obviously aren’t a good friend to you. Value and appreciate your life, and live the way you want to, not how they want you to.

No comments:

Post a Comment